In today's world when every day there is new language / framework / solution came out to play with, as beginner I would highly recommend following suggestions :
- Focus on logic and concepts that would help to be language independent developer.
- Don't focus on languages rather focus on concepts.
- Unit tests and automation is always important, with the time project grow bigger and bigger and it would be difficult to handle without unit tests and/or automation.
- Whatever language you code in, be expert to debug and dig deep down to fetch reasons of issues rather than hit and trial.
- Programming is creative field, mistakes may happen and will happen. Learn from them and accept them.
- Like Edison says, “Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration”. Practice makes the man perfect.
- Try to make habit of reviewing the code. Code reviews are 60% for your job rather then coding.
Above is the essence of what I have learned, experience and observe. That would help the beginners to build their path to success.